Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Office


So...this happened last week:


What? No big deal you said? Well, apparently you know nothing about me. First of all, I've never had an office (except the camp office, and that wasn't really mine, and only lasted for the summer). And the idea of sharing an office with my bestie and partner in crime...well...let's just say. We where PUMPED.   We are both working at Keller Park, and get to spend our Tuesdays together, so the church let us convert one of the basement rooms into an office and workroom. (I bet they are glad we are in the basement, because we get a little rowdy.) So here my friends, in pictures, is the story of the transformation.


Before: 

Taking the girls to pick out a paint color. Carrie and I meet each other at Home Depot, and are wearing almost exactly the same outfit. Even funnier? We almost dressed the girls the same too. Maybe we spend too much time together....nah.


Carrie and David doing most of the work. Thank goodness for David and his he man ways. Not only did he tear down and set up a computer lab, fix all the florescent lights in the basement, he carried our massively heavy, dead people desks (I'll explain that later) down the stairs by himself. 
 
Carrie painted the whole room by herself. She's one tough lady. And let me just say, frog tape? Awesome.
Now the fun begins!!

I loaded up all the fun things I could find at the house to pretty up our space. Coffee maker? Check. Funky file boxes? Check. Giant clipboard? Double Check.

So then, Carrie and I went shopping for the perfect desk for us to share. We wanted some sort of table we could put in the middle of the room, so we could sit across from each other and work. Cause we so pretty and we like to look at each other. We couldn't be divided, then I'd be all:

Doctor Who reference? Anyone? Anyone? 

We had a strict budget. We decided we each had $10 to put towards our desk. We visited some thrift stores but nothing. And then, and then, we saw a giant room full of these desks. Like 100 of them. We loved the beautiful curvy legs, and funky detail on the drawers. But they where Oooooold. And beat up. But the longer we looked the more we loved them. Where'd they come from? An orphanage. We where sure. There where little red headed kids singing and mopping the floor and it finally closed down and St.Vincent got all their desks. But when I opened one of the drawers and found old weird stockings I knew it was a nursing home. Which is depressing. I'm sure they're haunted. But guess how much they where? $10 a piece. Perfect. So we searched until we found two of the best ones and popped them in the mini van. 


When we finished for the day, Stella and I posed for a picture:

I went in today and hung some more art. Here's some more detailed pictures! 



Because Carrie calls me Bro. It's funny to me. 


Welcome to our office!
That memo strip thing is crooked, and it's already driving me crazy

Because I believe no room is complete without a funky spray painted bust of an historical figure. 

Coffee and office supplies. My two favorite things.

My side! And yes, that is a picture of Bob Dylan.  




My bookshelf that I plan on filling with binders like my hero Kathy.



And because we're moms, a kid's play corner! With clips on the wall waiting for some beautiful artwork.


Funky chair and a David Badertscher orginal pallet book shelf. 
All put together! It makes me so happy to walk into here!


There she be! Come visit us, there's always coffee and swedish fish.

1 comment: