Monday, February 27, 2012

What's for Dinner Monday: Just a teeny tiny bit of fun.

Our good friend Kevin Chupp came home this week. He's been away at school in Portland Oregon. We are excited to have him back in our lives, and thought we'd celebrate by having a little bitty get together.

Kevin loves all things tiny. Every time I see anything miniature, I think of him. So when I started noticing tiny foods all over Pinterest, I knew I had to have a little bitty dinner.

The Menu:

Baby Carrots and Tiny Celerys
Baby Orange Slices
Mini Pizzas
Tiny Burgers
and my pride and joy
Mini Donuts






The donuts are one of the few things I've made from a picture I saw on pintrest, and actually turned out good! (Unlike this disaster) So I thought I'd share my slightly altered recipe.  You do need a mini donut pan. (I got mine on sale at Meijer this week!)


Mini Donuts
 (adapted slightly from Sprinkle Bakes)

Yield: 4-5 dozen mini donuts


Doughnut batter:

2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. butter, melted


Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In large mixing bowl, sift together all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and butter and beat until just combined. Spray doughnut cavities with cooking spray or brush with butter.  Fill each donut cup approximately 1/2 full.

Bake 4-7 minutes or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for 3-4 minutes before removing. Finish doughnuts with vanilla glaze. Doughnuts are best served fresh.


Vanilla glaze:

1 cup confectioner’ s sugar
1 tbsp. orange juice
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Food coloring
White nonpareils 

In small bowl, stir together sugar, milk and vanilla extract until sugar is completely dissolved. Add food coloring and stir until color is uniform.  Use immediately to glaze doughnuts.  Sprinkle on nonpareils.

Here's my tips:
-I don't own a sifter. So I just used a wire wisk and wisked up the dry ingredients. 

-Our family likes to swap out the milk in frosting recipes with orange juice. It adds some flavor, and we pretend like it's healthier (Vitamin C!) 

We had a great night. While the boys played board games, Lucy and I painted.

























It was an all around good day. We got to skype with Uncle Brent (for like .2 seconds until it crapped out. But Lucy loved it.)

And we visited the mall to see Clifford. 


And now, I'm ending my night with tiny donuts and coffee. Great day. 



Go ahead and pin this sweet awesome recipe.


 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment